Learn more about Caldwell's Historic Walking Tour!
“Welcome to the Cleveland Boulevard and Upper Dearborn Street neighborhood of Caldwell – an area rich in the lore of our town. This is not the oldest residential district of Caldwell, but grew between 1900 and 1940. Carrie and Robert Strahorn founded the town in 1883 as a commercial center for the Railroad, and it didn’t take long for many settlers to ‘move up’ from a tent to a modest house, and then to a fine home. This area represents a ‘fine home’ phase of Caldwell’s growth.”
406 S. 14th Ave.—Boone Presbyterian Church— Reverend William Judson Boone founded this church on Albany Street in 1888. Shortly after World War II, the Church moved to this location. This church was designed by the architectural firm of Wayland and Fennel and built by contractor Dave Dorsey.
1421 Dearborn Street—L.J. Block Residence— Constructed in 1911, the architectural style of this home is Queen Anne Vernacular.
1424 Dearborn Street—Evans House—Throughout the 1930’s Caldwell was fascinated with Tutor Revival Cottages. This 1940 example, and the style in general, shows round arches over the front door, steep asymmetrical gable roofs, large chimneys, halftimbering in the gable ends, and diamond window panes.
1602 Dearborn Street—Gov. Frank Steunenberg Residence—In 1905 Harry Orchard fixed a bomb to the 16th Avenue gate of ex-Governor Frank Steunenberg. When Steunenberg opened the gate, the bomb exploded and killed him. Orchard, a member of the Western Federation of Miners, confessed and went to prison. The ex-Governor’s house pictured in the caption burned in 1913. The house that currently occupies this site is a Craftsman Bungalow style. Look for low-pitched gable roofs and wide front porches, triangular knee braces in the gable ends and exposed rafter tails beneath the eaves.
1601 Dearborn Street—Dudley House—Dr. Stowell Dudley came to Caldwell in 1920 and built this house soon thereafter. The fan-shaped window above the door, the symmetry of the front façade, and the orientation of the gable ends to the side of the house define this house as a Colonial Revival.
) 1602 Cleveland Blvd.—Brown House—Baldwin Brown built this Bungalow for $9,000 when most homes in Caldwell were being built for $3,000. The eyebrow dormers, large size and absence of many bungaloid features make this house unusual. The glass bricks were a later addition for a millenary shop.
1617 Cleveland Blvd.—Dave Dorsey House—David Dorsey designed and built this house in 1936. The house is an interpretation of an old-world cottage, with striking brick work in which the “headers” protrude from the wall, casting shadows that create an unusual textured appearance.
1802 Cleveland Blvd.—Beale House—Built in 1923, this house contains a variety of stylistic details that do not add up to a neat style definition. F.F. Beale founded the College of Idaho’s music school and published numerous compositions. This house is on the National Register of Historic Places.
1722 Dearborn Street—Buckner House—Caldwell attorney Thomas Buckner had this Colonial Revival home built in 1935. The fan-shaped window over the front door and the windows along the sides are typical of Colonial Revival houses.
1910 Dearborn Street—Hayman House—Dr. H.H. and Corrine Hayman bought this 1906 four-square hipped cottage in 1919. Dr. Hayman taught economics at the College of Idaho and bucketed water to its newly planted elm trees. As a minister he was especially known for his funeral sermons.
1923 Everett Street—President’s House—This is the ninth structure in Caldwell known as “The Home of President of The College of Idaho.” Designed by Stan Olson and built in 1967 by Dave Dorsey, this ranch style house has served as “The President’s Home” longer than any other. College of Idaho founder and President Dr. William Judson Boone and family lived at 816 Belmont Street for 29 years.
1824 Everett Street—Simplot-Jones Residence— This was the early Caldwell residence of Idaho potato magnate J.R. Simplot from 1942 to 1947 and more recently the home of J.R. Simplot Food Processing Division President Leon Jones from 1947 to 1977. Mr. Jones is credited with leading the company through the early years of growth with his ingenuity and creative ideas for potato processing. The Simplot Company has provided jobs to Caldwell area residents since the 1940s and has contributed to making Idaho known as the “potato state.”
1804 Everett Street—Finney House—Julia Finney, professor of English and German at the College of Idaho, built this Classic Revival style house in 1906 and rented rooms to students. In the 1940’s the college bought it for the President’s home until they moved to 1923 Everett Street in the 1960’s.
1720 Fillmore Street—Graves House—This example of Mid-Century Modernism was the home of the Graves family for more than a half century. Caldwell architect Harold Shaw and contractor Andy Johnson designed and built the house in 1959. The owners, Gene and Midge Graves, were both prominent in the Caldwell business community.
1501 Everett—Oliver House—This house was built by the Boise Payette Lumber Company in 1940. The house uses design elements adapted from the Tudor Revival palette of features, but its trim and simple appearance help it lean toward the Minimal Traditional style. Clad in a masonry veneer of clinker brick with many shades of color, the wall surfaces appear richly textured with or without sunlight casting shadows across the bricks.